Thursday, March 20, 2014

Comforted

I don't know if this is 500 words, but it was the story of a moment that sort of just wrote itself.  I've been wondering lately how I will manage to get through life without my momma.  I guess this is the story of how.

I've gotten out my taboo cards. What little I remember of surrealism, is an idea that there is something inside me, some message, that wants to come out. I simply need to give it the opportunity to burst onto the scene. Say there are ten things on a tray, and I have to tell a story with them. A glove, a pony, a few coins, a singer, water, mayonnaise, something king-size, speeding, summer, and green. Let's see. The singer wears a glove, but why only one? Perhaps she can't find both, or maybe she is a Michael Jackson fan. I picture a woman sitting by a fence, singing her way through a hymnal. Perhaps a pony in the next field comes over and nuzzles her. A highway is maybe ten feet from her. It is the well-traveled way. Every now and then, another car comes speeding down the road, shaking the whole world to the sound of the music it's playing. But Micah's songs come from a very different place. Once upon a time, her mom used to sing to her. Momma sang about “The Birth of the Blues.”
Micah's frail heart wishes it had a tune, all she has is this hymnbook. She pages through it, looking for an elusive something, something to pour her paper heart into, something to make her feel like a real person. A soft breeze plays with the pages as she turns them. “I am weak but thou art strong; Jesus, keep me from all wrong. I'll be satisfied as long, as I walk, let me walk close to thee.” Could anything be close? Tears begin to roll down her young cheeks. “Just a closer walk with thee.” Her soul cuddles up with the familiar words. “Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,” Her voice sounds so small. Trying again, a little louder, a little stronger. “Thro' this world of toil and snares, if I falter, Lord, who cares? Who with me my burden shares? None but thee, dear Lord, none but thee.” Tears are falling more rapidly now, unbidden. Momma would like that song. “Just a closer walk with thee.” Back in the house, everyone expected her to be so spiritual. Everyone was talking about heaven. Back there, she was expected to smile, and play the hostess to relatives and friends gathered to mourn. She thought about the service, they had just come from. All those songs that she and her mother had loved together. Momma's voice had become less certain as she grew older. Somehow, when they were together, though, the old voice would ring out the soprano, while Micah found a alto notes snuggling up next to momma's strong melody. Now, all the tears that she couldn't cry at church dripped one by one down her face. Paging through the tattered hymnbook, she sings, “He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock That shadows a dry, thirsty land; He hideth my life in the depths of his love, and covers me there with his hand.” Dry and thirsty, yes, that's how the world felt today. The bright sunshine hides for a moment behind a cloud. The sun holds itself aloof from this little worship service. The woman feels like a young girl again, as she carefully avoids the barbs that will tear at her clothes if she gets too close. Soon, she would need to get back. People would wonder what had happened to her. Everybody seemed so quietly worried about her. Their worry was another weight to carry, as though losing her mother wasn't enough. She had to exhibit the right mix of mourning and psychological strength to reassure everyone. But, all she wanted was to hear momma singing beside her. “Because He Lives” was one of momma's favorite songs. “Because He lives I can face tomorrow; because he lives all fear is gone; because I know he holds the future, life is worth the living just because he lives.” Tomorrow, what a dry, colorless thought. She would make it through tomorrow, though. After all, there was no longer anyone to help if she fell apart. I need your strength today, Lord. What is the verse? “seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.” I need a portion of that divine power, today, Father. I know you will give it. Thank You. “Every good and perfect gift comes down from above, from the Father of the heavenly lights, with whom there is no shifting shadow.” Is the loss of momma a gift, Lord? She lived so many years with constant pain in so many of her joints. I'm glad to know that she is in heaven with You. Thank You for this moment. Thank You for the bright sunshine, and the quiet grass. I guess I better get going. People will miss me. Thank You for being here with me. Someday, momma, I will meet you in heaven; and we will sing and sing and sing for a million glorious days. But, I better be going . . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment